Sunday, April 4, 2010

Earthquake Strikes Facebook

So I was writing my last blog post when that "crazy earthquake" struck. You might not even know that an earthquake cruised through L.A from Mexico a few minutes ago (around 3:45 ), but let me tell you, Facebook does.

After my friends and I walked out of our rooms to discuss the subtle rumble, I decided to take a quick glance on Facebook to see what my friends were saying.

My friend made a joke out of the whole "Change-my-Facebook-status-to-report-my-experience-with-the-earthquake" phenomenon.

Trevor Tessalone earthquake. 1st to say it. winner.


Ryan's was pretty good too:

Ryan McDermott That's what u call an Easterquake...


It's always really funny to see how quickly people rush to Facebook to comment on earthquakes...I'm not sure why it's such a necessary thing for people to do. People whip out their cell phones just to type "earthquake" into their Facebook status, and log off. WHY?

Tiffany Higgins Earthquake...

3 minutes ago via Facebook for iPhone · ·

I wonder how many thousands of people on Twitter in the LA area made this their status in the past 10 minutes. I need one of those tracking tools to figure that out.

At this point, "that Twitter tracking tool" might be equally as valuable as the seismograph that measured the actual quake.




1 comment:

  1. Great post, Brian. I was sitting in my apartment near Santa Monica when the earthquake hit. I didn't feel it nor did I even know about it until my mother called me from Houston to ask me if I was OK. I went to CNN.com to find out exactly where it hit then went directly to Twitter to find out who felt it. Obviously, I learned more from Twitter than from CNN.com!

    ReplyDelete